The Briscoe Center offers duplication services for collection materials including photographs, manuscripts, audio and video. Our Research Quality duplication service is intended for research use, and Publication Quality duplication service is intended for publication, exhibition, or broadcast.
Please see the types of duplication services below for more details.
The Briscoe Center offers a research quality scanning service intended for personal research only. Scans provided with this service are legible, watermarked digital scans of materials. To publish, exhibit, or otherwise display our materials, please see our Publication Quality Duplication and Permissions service below.
To request research quality scans, please Contact Us directly and choose “Reference” from the drop-down list. Reference staff will contact you to clarify your request and then supply you with a link to an online order form.
The Briscoe Center offers digital duplication of images, manuscript material, video, and audio from our holdings intended for publication or exhibition. Requests for duplications and permission to publish and/or exhibit images are accepted on a case-by-case basis at staff discretion and in accordance with donor agreements, copyright law, and privacy and publicity rights.
All requests are generally charged a Duplication Fee (if duplication is required) and at least one Preservation Fee. If you need duplications sooner than ten (10) business days, rush fees may apply. All research quality scanning and audio/visual digitization orders require prepayment.
Some classroom/lecture purposes are exempt from fees (see below).
- Publication quality images are $20 per image plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- Audio and video duplications are $30 per item plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- Duplication of entire reels of microfilm are $48 plus a $10 service charge
- Items that cannot be digitized in-house may be charged according to vendor rates plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- For publication or exhibition purposes:
- Preservation Fees for publication are $10 for UT System affiliates, $25 for Non-Profit/Independent organizations, $50 for Commercial organizations working for a nonprofit, and $50 for Commercial organizations. Please note: multiple Preservation Fees may apply (see below).
- Preservation fees are charged per item, per revenue-generating* use (up to four). To further explain, we charge one Preservation Fee for the primary media/format/language use. In addition, we charge an additional Preservation Fee for each revenue generating media/format/language use beyond the primary, up to four total uses. Once the request has reached four total Preservation Fees, we automatically grant “all media, all languages” permission.
- For personal/research purposes:
- The Preservation Fees for personal/research purposes are either $10 for UT systems requesters or $25 for all other requesters.
- One Preservation Fee is assessed per item for personal/research purposes.
*Please note: we consider a revenue-generating media/format/language as any use that generates additional sales for the requestor, advertising revenue, or features sponsor/underwriter logos.
If you need a duplication in sooner than five business days, a rush fee may be applied. Rush Fees are $20 per image for still images and $30 per item for moving images and audio.
Fee exemption for classroom and lecture purposes:
Exemptions from fees may apply for some classroom and lecture purposes. To see if your order qualifies, please download the Lecture/Classroom Presentation Form.
All delivery will be in electronic format via a link in an email message. Typical delivery times vary. Please let the Duplication Coordinator know what your deadline is and we can try to work with you. Rush service may be available for images needed within five business days of payment for a fee of $20 per image or $30 per item for moving images and audio.
Permission-only requests can be processed within a day, if requested, at no extra fee.
- Fill out the Publication Quality Media Order Form – Permission to Publish Form.
- Submit the form(s) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail. (Fax is available upon request.)
- After we receive your form, the Duplication Services Coordinator will email an invoice to you. Prepayment is required for all orders. Please do not send payment until you have received an invoice.