The Briscoe Center offers duplication services for collection materials including photographs, manuscripts, audio and video. Our Research Quality duplication service is intended for research use, and Publication Quality duplication service is intended for publication, exhibition, or broadcast.
Please see the types of duplication services below for more details.
The Briscoe Center offers a research quality scanning service intended for personal research only. Scans provided with this service are legible, watermarked digital scans of materials. To publish, exhibit, or otherwise display our materials, please see our Publication Quality Duplication and Permissions service below.
- $10 flat service charge on all orders
- $.50 per page
- Rush fees (if applicable): additional $.50 per image
- Microfilm duplication $37 per reel for existing negative plus an $11.00 vendor fee per order
- All research quality scanning orders require prepayment
- In cases where the exact number of scans required is unknown, the requester will authorize the Briscoe Center to make up to a specified number of scans.
- We will invoice the requester for this specified amount. Please note that, in the end, you will only be charged for the amount of scans required to complete the order.
- After the requester has provided the Briscoe Center with either a credit card number or check, we will hold that payment until the request is complete.
- Work will begin on the request once prepayment is received.
- If the request requires fewer scans than specified, the Briscoe Center will adjust the invoice to reflect the lower fee and process the payment.
- If the request requires more scans than specified on the invoice, the Briscoe Center will get the requester’s consent before proceeding.
- All delivery will be in electronic format via a link in an email message.
- Typical delivery times vary. Please let the Duplication Coordinator know what your deadline is and we can try to work with you.
- Rush fees apply to orders that must be delivered in five business days.
- You are allowed to take photographs of materials with your own camera or phone in the Briscoe Center reading room. Resulting images are for personal reference use only.
- Hire an Austin-area proxy researcher (PDF) to do the research for you.
- Permission must be obtained from the Briscoe Center to place duplications of manuscript materials in other archival institutions
- Research quality duplications are for personal study or research and cannot be published, exhibited, or reproduced in any way.
- Fill out the Research Quality Scanning and Microfilm Order Form
- Submit the form to the Duplication Coordinator in person, by email (email@example.com), or by mail.
- After we receive your form, the Duplication Coordinator will email an invoice to you. Prepayment is required on all orders. Please do not send payment until you have received an invoice.
The Briscoe Center offers digital duplication of images, manuscript material, video, and audio from our holdings intended for publication or exhibition. Requests for duplications and permission to publish and/or exhibit images are accepted on a case-by-case basis at staff discretion and in accordance with donor agreements, copyright law, and privacy and publicity rights.
All requests are generally charged a Duplication Fee (if duplication is required) and at least one Preservation Fee. If you need duplications sooner than five (5) business days, rush fees may apply. All research quality scanning and audio/visual digitization orders require prepayment.
Some classroom/lecture purposes are exempt from fees (see below).
- Publication quality images are $20 per image plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- Audio and video duplications are $30 per item plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- Items that cannot be digitized in-house may be charged according to vendor rates plus any applicable Preservation Fees.
- For publication or exhibition purposes:
- Preservation Fees for publication are $10 for UT System affiliates, $25 for Non-Profit/Independent organizations, $50 for Commercial organizations working for a nonprofit, and $50 for Commercial organizations. Please note: multiple Preservation Fees may apply (see below).
- Preservation fees are charged per item, per revenue-generating* use (up to four). To further explain, we charge one Preservation Fee for the primary media/format/language use. In addition, we charge an additional Preservation Fee for each revenue generating media/format/language use beyond the primary, up to four total uses. Once the request has reached four total Preservation Fees, we automatically grant “all media, all languages” permission.
- For personal/research purposes:
- The Preservation Fees for personal/research purposes are either $10 for UT systems requesters or $25 for all other requesters.
- One Preservation Fee is assessed per item for personal/research purposes.
*Please note: we consider a revenue-generating media/format/language as any use that generates additional sales for the requestor, advertising revenue, or features sponsor/underwriter logos.
If you need a duplication in sooner than five business days, a rush fee may be applied. Rush Fees are $20 per image for still images and $30 per item for moving images and audio.
Fee exemption for classroom and lecture purposes:
Exemptions from fees may apply for some classroom and lecture purposes. To see if your order qualifies, please download the Lecture/Classroom Presentation Form.
All delivery will be in electronic format via a link in an email message. Typical delivery times vary. Please let the Duplication Coordinator know what your deadline is and we can try to work with you. Rush service may be available for images needed within five business days of payment for a fee of $20 per image or $30 per item for moving images and audio.
Permission-only requests can be processed within a day, if requested, at no extra fee.
- Fill out the Publication Quality Media Order Form – Permission to Publish Form.
- Submit the form(s) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail. (Fax is available upon request.)
- After we receive your form, the Duplication Services Coordinator will email an invoice to you. Prepayment is required for all orders. Please do not send payment until you have received an invoice.