March 5, 2020–July 16, 2021
Briscoe Center for American History, Austin, Texas
Main Gallery / Virtual Tour
“On with the Fight!” illustrates the achievements, contradictions, and complexities of women’s activism in Texas and across the United States since the Civil War. The exhibit is drawn from the center’s extensive social justice and women’s history collections, including the papers of Ann Richards, Frances “Sissy” Farenthold, Molly Ivins, Alice Embree, and Frieda Werden, as well as the Women’s Commonwealth Archive, the Lesbian Issues Collection, the Labor Movement of Texas Collection, and the Texas Woman’s Christian Temperance Union Scrapbook.
We require reservations for exhibition attendance to ensure proper social distancing. We are open weekdays from 10 a.m. to noon, and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. We close from noon to 1 p.m. for cleaning.
For the safety of all involved, we ask our in-person visitors to follow these guidelines:
- Please do not come to the Briscoe Center if you or someone in your household is sick or feels ill.
- You must wear a recommended protective face mask.
- Masks worn over the mouth and nose are required for all visitors older than two as well as Briscoe Center staff during your entire visit. Masks with a valve and face shields worn without an approved face mask are not permitted. Read more about The University of Texas at Austin’s mask policy here.
- Vaccination or a history of prior infections with COVID-19 does not alter the requirements for masking on campus.
- If you believe you are in an exempted category for the mask requirement, please contact us in advance of your visit.
- Please wash your hands well and often, and use our hand sanitizers where available.
- Practice social distancing on site by following signs and Briscoe Center staff guidance. Stay six feet away from other visitors while in the galleries. Households may remain together; children must stay with adults at all times.
Please join us for a virtual tour of the exhibition gallery. The tour is best viewed by selecting the “Enter fullscreen” option in the tour navigation bar.
This virtual tour contains audio and video commentary from the exhibition curators. Audio only comments are denoted with the tooltip text “Curator Conversation (Audio)” and are activated and deactivated by selecting the Curator Conversation icon. Video content uses the same Curator Conversation icon but the tooltip only displays “Curator Conversation.” The video is activated by selecting the icon and deactivated by selecting “X” on the popup video window.